Winters come with an auspicious Christmas time to enjoy a delightful time with family and friends. People attend parties, decorate their homes, make delicious meals, gift each other, perform rituals, sing carols, the celebration list continues. Food is an integral part of every festival and Christmas is just one of these many. Talking about Christmas desserts, we cannot forget the irresistibly tempting Australian cake. You will often find it lying on the dessert table in parties and not surprisingly it vanishes soon. It is delicious, soft, cold, and creamy, enough to water anyone's mouth. It serves as a perfect dessert for a family gathering. Australian cake is baked and can be prepared using different ingredients to make it more flavorful. Check out some recipes in the lines below.
Australian cake is a perfect family dessert on Christmas Eve. Find out its recipe by steering through this article.
- ½ lb Butter
- ½ lb Brown Sugar
- 5 Eggs
- 4 tbsp Rum
- ¼ lb Flour
- ½ tsp Baking Powder
- 1½ lb Mixed Fruit
- ¼ lb Cherries
- ¼ lb Lemon Peel
- 1 tsp Mixed Spice
- Almonds (finely cut, for garnishing)
- Take a 3 lb Christmas tin and line it with 3 inch thick wax paper.
- Combine butter and brown sugar in a large mixing bowl. Beat and cream until the mixture turns fluffy.
- Take another bowl and beat eggs thoroughly.
- Add to the butter-sugar mixture and blend well.
- Pour rum in the mixture and gently fold.
- Sift flour, baking powder, and mixed spice together in a separate bowl.
- Slowly add to the egg mixture, alternating with mixed fruit, cherries, and lemon peel.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin.
- Garnish with finely cut almonds.
- Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for about 1¼ to 3 hours.
- Take out the tin and set aside until cold.
- Invert the cake and serve thereafter.
Australian Fruit Cake
- 1 kg Mixed Fruits
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 250 g Butter (chopped)
- 2 tbsp Brandy
- 4 Eggs (lightly beaten)
- 2 tsp Parisienne Essence
- 1 cup Plain Flour (sifted)
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- Salt (to taste)
- ½ tsp Nutmeg
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 2 tbsp Brandy (extra)
- Combine fruits, brown sugar, butter, and brandy in a large mixing bowl.
- Cover the bowl and place it on high flame. Cook for around 5 minutes and stir only once. Turn the heat off and let the mixture cool a little.
- Add eggs, parisienne essence, flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Stir well.
- Take a 20 cm greased cake container and pour the batter into it.
- Cook on medium flame for 10 minutes.
- To prevent over cooking, use a 3 cm foil strip and place it on the outside body of the cake container.
- Cook for another 10-12 minutes again on medium flame.
- Let it stand for 5-10 minutes before removing it from the heat.
- Pour extra brandy on the cake. Decorate the cake with glaze fruits.
- Slice and serve.